Epson Salt: A Must-Have for Home and Garden



Epsom "Salt"...not really a salt at all but two minerals that our body actually uses and needs.  "Epsom salt is made up of magnesium and sulfate, which can help improve health in numerous ways. A lack of magnesium—which helps regulate the activity of more than 300 enzymes in the body—can contribute to high blood pressure, hyperactivity, heart problems and other health issues, doctors warn. Sulfate is essential for many biological processes, helping to flush toxins and helping form proteins in joints, brain tissue and mucin proteins."  - Epson Salt Council

Wow.  Pretty amazing for such a humble crystalline substance.  But this drugstore wonder is full of surprises.  It's great as a hair conditioner, sore achy muscles, and even as a garden fertilizer?! Yes, it's true...and there's even more...




When I was growing up, we had wood floors in our house.  The upstairs floorboards had a few rough spots in them but we being kids, didn't seem to notice.  Wood floors made a nice skating rink which we would skate on with socks.  One time though, I skated on some rough "ice" and promptly got a LARGE wood splinter in my foot.  Yuck.  I was horrified and did NOT want my parents to touch it.  The splinter itself was not willing to come out either, so in came the Epsom Salt.  Now, when you're a kid faced with a probing knife to extract a splinter, soaking your foot in some nice warm water was a perfect way to make me relax.  My parents loved me, but a spa experience was not what they had in mind, but rather a way to draw the splinter out of my skin and Epsom came through!  By the time my foot was done soaking, the splinter came out lickity-split (much to my surprise) and relatively pain-free.  So, Epsom salt saved the day and was my hero.  



As soon as I got married, I purchased my own carton (they sell it in bags now...way better idea!) and kept it for emergencies.  We seem to use it for any foot problems, probably because of my previous memory of it, but it does SO much more!  Even the carton I have only lists a few of its many uses.  Here's just a few: eliminates toxins by exfoliating and taking a bath in it - 2 cups in the tub, helps with athlete's feet and toe fungus (see, it likes feet), cleans bathroom tiles - use equal parts of Epsom with dish detergent to clean, is a fertilizer for houseplants and vegetables/flowers*, relieves constipation (!) and much more!!  I will admit my experience with it is limited to the sliver incident (which by the way, is another thing on the list it does) and foot complaints...but it did a great job in these areas.  However, after writing this post, I am going to be sprinkling my Epsom salt on all my houseplants!   



Here's another great bonus for Epsom Salt...you can buy it at the drugstore.  No health stores, no fancy catalogs, no shipping charges; perfect.  I love the simplicity of these types of home remedies and garden helps.  After all, isn't that part of living simply?
So, if you don't have some Epsom Salt at home; run to the nearest Walgreen's, pick up a bag and "skate" on your wood floors with a smile on your face...ahhhh.

Have you used Epsom Salt before? How and why did you use it?

Here's a few great links to more information on Epsom Salt and how to use it:

Epsom Salt Council  
15 Unknown Uses for Epsom Salt at Gomestic.com

*For houseplants: Sprinkle Epsom salt weekly once to nourish your houseplants, flowers and vegetables.


Source: http://livininthegreen.blogspot.com/2012/11/epson-salt-must-have-for-home-and-garden.html